Centre for Humanitarian Leadership (CHL) is seeking expressions of interest for a Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor who is willing to work on a remote consultancy basis related to existing CHL grants and multiple anticipated proposals between August to December 2021. This role has the potential to evolve into a fixed-term contract once funding is secured.
- Collaborate with CHL team members and consultants to contribute to full proposals, concept notes and EOIs for a range of funding opportunities.
- Write proposals with high levels of professionalism and clear language and with sufficient level of detail as required by the funding body, managing multiple drafts and iterations.
- Participate in budget development in collaboration with key CHL team members including Projects and Grants Manager, Head of Partnerships, CHL Director, and academic staff.
- Conduct a brief desk review of current CHL programs to ensure appropriate data collection is being undertaken and well-documented.
- Support reporting for current CHL programs.
- Make recommendations for improvements and data collection and management if appropriate.
- This will require a review of the following documentation that the Centre of Humanitarian
Leadership will provide access to:
- BHA proposals, proposal budget, and past program reports for the current grant;
- BHA extension proposal package including M&E Narrative, Indicator Table and budget;
- Program-related documents to support the understanding of the nature of the course; and
- M&E/student data/statistics that CHL might be asked to provide to demonstrate to a donor
audit that work has been completed
- Consultant must demonstrate an existing understanding of BHA’s guidelines for proposals and M&E, but up to one-half day may be charged for a review of specific regulatory updates, including recent BHA proposal guidelines update.
- Extensive experience developing successful funding proposal/grants, especially for institutional donors such as USAID, FCDO, DFAT and the UN. Experience writing proposals for foundations and private sector donors will also be useful.
- Experience working in humanitarian, development, or academic research-related roles. Technical or practical experience at the community level is welcome and appreciated, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least six years relevant M&E, research, or grant-writing experience or a master’s degree plus at least three years of relevant professional experience. PhD candidates are welcome to apply. Studies in international development, public policy, social sciences, humanitarian affairs, or education useful.
- Flexible hours available, but funding opportunities often arise with short notice (2-6 weeks) and require sharp, short bursts under pressure.
- Candidates must demonstrate high levels of creative thinking, flexibility, and willingness to learn. A commitment to high-performing teamwork is essential to success.
- Ability to work remotely in a multi-cultural team across time zones.
- Excellent fluency in written English is required, but professional fluency in French is useful. Preferred candidates will demonstrate a near superhuman ability to write quickly, creatively, and succinctly.
- A sense of humour, combined with strong resonance with CHL’s values of courage, humility, integrity, and collaboration. We seek superstars with a strong commitment to disrupting the status quo.
- BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA folks are strongly encouraged to apply. CHL is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Interested candidates will be accepted on a rolling basis. Work is available immediately. To express interest, please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Exact number of days per assignment will be determined on a task-by-task basis.
- Brief cover letter of no more than one page highlighting your relevant experience and why you think you’re a good fit for CHL. Cover letters will be read and enjoyed accordingly. Please reference your favourite CHL value and give a specific example of why this is important to you. Please state your availability and preferred daily rate (in Australian dollars).
- Please share a recent writing sample where you played a key role in drafting and finalising the product. If your name is not identified, please explain in your cover letter the role that you played.