Centre for Humanitarian Leadership (CHL) is seeking expressions of interest for three to four proposal and grant writers who are willing to work on a remote consultancy basis related to multiple anticipated bids between July to December 2021. This role has the potential to evolve into a fixed-term contract once funding is secured.
- Coordinate CHL team members and consultants to organise and project manage full proposals, concept note and EOIs for a range of funding opportunities from design meeting to submission
- Write proposals with high levels of professionalism and clear language and with sufficient level of detail as required by the funding body, managing multiple drafts and iterations
- Participate in budget development in collaboration with key CHL team members including Projects and Grants Manager, Head of Partnerships, CHL Director, and academic staff
- Identify and research relevant funding opportunities
- Think creatively and write with courage, humility, integrity, and collaboration.
- Extensive experience developing successful funding proposal/grants, especially for institutional donors such as USAID, FCDO, DFAT and the UN. Experience writing proposals for foundations and private sector donors will also be useful.
- Experience working in humanitarian, development, or academic research-related roles. Technical or practical experience at the community level is welcome and appreciated, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least four years relevant grant-writing experience or master’s degree plus at least two years relevant professional experience. PhD candidates are welcome to apply. Degrees in international development, public policy, social sciences, humanitarian affairs, and education
- Flexible hours available, but funding opportunities often arise with short notice (2-6 weeks) and require sharp, short bursts under pressure.
- Candidates must demonstrate high levels of creative thinking, flexibility, and willingness to learn. A commitment to high-performing teamwork is essential to success.
- Ability to work remotely in a multi-cultural team across time zones
- Excellent fluency in written English is required, but professional fluency in French is useful. Preferred candidates will demonstrate a near superhuman ability to write quickly, creatively, and succinctly
- A sense of humour, combined with strong resonance with CHL’s values of courage, humility, integrity, and collaboration. We seek superstars with a strong commitment to disrupting the status quo.
- BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA folks are strongly encouraged to apply. CHL is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Interested candidates will be accepted on a rolling basis. Work is available immediately. To express interest, please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- Brief cover letter of no more than one page highlighting your relevant experience and why you think you’re a good fit for CHL. Cover letters will be read and enjoyed accordingly. Please reference your favourite CHL value and give a specific example of why this is important to you. Please state your availability and preferred daily rate (in Australian dollars).
- Please share a recent writing sample where you played a key role in drafting and finalizing the product. If your name is not identified, please explain in your cover letter the role that you played.